Friday, December 31, 2010

American Bitterns and Wilson's Snipe


Two of the more difficult marsh skulkers to photograph (let alone find) are the American Bittern and Wilson's Snipe (with all Rail's and the smaller Least Bittern rounding out the group).  This morning I had some great success though which was aided by the recent blizzard that covered all of the tall marsh grasses with snow thus allowing for greater visibility.  There were at least 2 American Bitterns this morning along Dune Rd (though I heard a report of "five") and 1 very cooperative Wilson's Snipe that was feeding away. I personally witnessed it slurp down two American eels (very small ones of course) and two little killifish.  I can't imagine what it must feel like to have those fish swimming around in the stomach. . .

Anyway, it's certainly a fantastic way to end my photographic year and I'm looking forward to what 2011 will yield.

 Find the Snipe!

 Preening:

 With a small American Eel:

 With a killifish:


American Bittern:

 Yawning:

 Being patient:

No comments:

Post a Comment